Sunday, November 22, 2009

Talking Protocols...

It is funny the way we use language as a mode of communication. Is that the only way to communicate I wondered...? There are so many many many things we say to our people, following which we have to explain it in detail. Are there some kinds of universal thinking codes? When I say “Blue” , the other person may find it “Green”. In such cases , is it easy to make the other person see your way? I was talking to a friend of mine today and explaining something about college times. I said “In my college there were hardly any good looking guys who were my friends”. My friend said “Oh really? Which college are you talking about?”. I wondered how many colleges I had studied in. The answer was two, so I was patient enough to tell him that when I said college it really meant the final college I passed out of and old college was the previous college I had studied in.
I felt at that instant as if I was laying a set of protocols for my speech. Was it real? Was I really trying to build a telepathic connection with my friend? I was sure every relationship built between two people sees a day like this. Setting communication protocols. Similarly I've always had problems understanding his house issues. He constantly spoke about the house he had bought recently to be his house and also called the one he was living in to be his house. What would a normal human being do to distinguish such things in life? I made him sit down and told him to refer to the house he is living in as, his house and the new one as his apartment.
This becomes most intriguing when, somebody is talking with passion and interrupting them becomes the last thing in the agenda. In such cases, I fully recommend the laying down of protocols at least with the few people that one constantly talks to. I can see now that life is all about protocols- to be set and to be followed. Even in basic things such as communication.

1 comment: