Monday, December 20, 2010

My SOP: My Sob Story

Were people who thought of a masters after a bachelors degree insane? Or was each applicant just a marketing & sales person?

The requisite of a Statement Of Purpose made me think they were.I chose to believe that every application went with a two page story that the applicant wanted the board to believe. The day I picked up my checklist to see how far I was with my application process, was when it struck me hard. It was missing an SOP.

What the fish was an SOP? An essay that elaborated an objective merged with an essay about life. I realised then that I was not a Marketing & Sales person after all. Though by profession I was, I chose not to sell myself. When my company launched products, it was easy to sell because I was never affected directly by comments that people passed on it. But when I tried to sell myself into a two page word document, I felt lost for words.

I knew I was good at what I did and I knew that nobody who knew me as a person would have second thoughts about giving me an admit card, but the problem was to let them know in 2d paper! I could not boast and I could not lie. Why couldn't I just say that "I don't know what I don't know and I would love to know stuff"? NO! They would never accept it....for only those who have been enlightened are worthy of more education and those who have not the spark can rot in the well! :)

I struggled all night to put a piece together. A humble copy that underwent many many iterations...by friends, family and colleagues. After insults, suggestion, criticism and plain snubs,what came out was not me! I knew it and I am sure the board would know too. If the board knew that not even one SOP was worth being called a "Definition Of the Person", why do they insist?

When I become somebody with some power I will make sure the education system is fair. Students will not be judged based on SOP's...they will be judged by what they are and what they want to know. But that is later....I still have to submit mine! A mixture of my sob story and my inspirations. Hate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment